In this tutorial, we will look at what Node.JS is, what it can do for you and why you definitely need to get on board with it too.
Topics to be covered
We will cover the following topics;
- Tutorial pre-requisites
- What is Node.JS
- What can you do with Node.JS?
- Why use Node.JS?
- Topics to be covered in the tutorial series
For you to successfully complete this tutorial, you will need to know the following.
- Integrated Development Environment / Text Editor
- Database engines (MySQL & MongoDB)
- Web browser
What is Node.JS?
What can you do with Node.JS?
Node.JS can be used to develop application such as;
- Utility programs i.e.
- Web applications
- CHAT applications
- Application Programming Interfaces (APIs)
- Real-time applications
- And many more…
Why use Node.JS?
The following are some of the advantages of using Node.JS
- Node Package Manager (NPM) is the default package manager for Node.JS. It is installed when you install Node.JS and gives you access to thousands of open source packages.
- Asynchronous Non-Blocking model makes handling concurrent requests super-fast. This because the server does not need to wait for the server to complete one task before responding to another.
Topics to be covered in the tutorial series
The following are some of the topics that will be covered in these tutorial series.
- Node.JS Installation and Configuration– this tutorial will show you how to install and configure Node.JS
- Node.JS Hello World – this tutorial will show you how to create a simple Hello World Node.JS application. The tutorial will show you how to create both the console application as well as a simple web based hello world app.
- Node.JS Database MySQL – Almost every app needs to interact with a database. This tutorial will show you how to connect to MySQL using Node.JS and perform Create, Read, Update and Delete (CRUD) actions.
- Node.JS Database MongoDB – MongoDB is a leading NoSQL database. This application will show you how to connect to MongoDB using Node.JS and perform Create, Read, Update and Delete (CRUD) actions.
- Node.JS REST API – this tutorial shows you how to build a Node.JS database powered RESTful API.
- …and many more - new tutorials will be added on a weekly basis.
The next tutorial is Node.JS Installation and Configuration.
If you found this tutorial useful, support us by using the social media buttons to like and share the tutorial. If you didn’t find it useful, please use the comments section below to let us know how we can do better next time.
Subscribe to our newsletter, like our Facebook fan page or follow us on Twitter to get free updates when we publish new tutorials
Tutorial version 1: Date Published 2016-08-02
This tutorial will show you how to install and configure Node.JS on your development machine...readmore
This tutorial will show you how to create a Hello World Node.JS application. The tutorial will show you how to create both the console and w...readmore
Almost every app needs to interact with a database. This tutorial will show you how to connect to MySQL using Node.JS and perform CRUD actio...readmore
MongoDB is a leading NoSQL database. This tutorial will show you how to connect to MongoDB using Node.JS and perform CRUD actions...readmore