Laravel 5 Tutorial
Laravel is a PHP MVC framework for developing web applications. It is an open source framework released under MIT License. Laravel was developed out of the need to address most of the challenges in CodeIgniter MVC.
Laravel is built on the shoulders of giants. It uses components from other time tested frameworks like Symfony. If populating is anything to go by, Laravel MVC has the Lion’s share in the PHP MVC frameworks market share. According to a survey done by SitePoint, Laravel MVC framework is the most used framework in both personal projects and at work.
Does it matter if Laravel is the most popular framework according to the SitePoint survey?
Yes it does matter. From a career perspective, the logic implication of this is that there are more Laravel developer jobs compared to other frameworks. This doesn’t mean you should discard other frameworks. It means learning Laravel MVC framework gives you more opportunities to find jobs/ personal projects to work on.
Features of Laravel MVC framework that make it superb!
The following are some of the features that make Laravel MVC framework very popular among developers.
- Built on already time tested components
- Supports Rapid Application Developing (RAD) – the artisan command line utility can be used to create boiler plate code for controllers and models. The command line utility can also be used to perform other tasks such as running unit tests, migrations etc.
- Uses namespaces unlike other frameworks such as CodeIgniter.
- Blade template – this is a built in template engine
- Built in features for common web application tasks such as authentication, routing, database managing, sending emails etc.
- Class auto loading – this means you do not have to manually load the classes
- RESTful controllers – this allows you to take advantage of HTTP verbs such as GET, POST, PUT, and DELETE etc.
- Unit Testing – built in unit testing features that can be run from the artisan command line.
- Support for composer Laravel uses composer. Composer is a package management system for PHP. This means you can use packages from www.packagist.com in your Laravel projects
- Eloquent ORM – Eloquent is an Object Relational Mapper framework that implements PHP Active Record.
- Excellent developer community – Laravel has good documentation and free tutorials on the internet that all come in handy when learning Laravel. StackOverflow also has a good number of answered questions for Laravel. This means you can easily find solutions to most of the challenges that you will face when developing applications.
Laravel Official Website
The official website for Laravel is http://laravel.com/. You can download Laravel from the official website. You can also find helpful information on how to get started with Laravel and how to use most of the components in Laravel.
E-Shopper Laravel Shopping Cart (Tutorial Series Project)
The best way to learn is by practice. Throughout these tutorial series, we will be creating a shopping cart web application. We will use a free HTML5 template from ShapeBootstrap. You can preview a non-functional demo of the project from this link. The following image shows a preview of what we will be working with.
Laravel Tutorial Topics
These tutorial series will guide you on your journey to Laravel Land "Home of web artisans". In these tutorial series, we are going to cover the following topics
01 Laravel Installation and Configuration – this tutorial will show you how to download, install and configure Laravel. We will also explore the directories of Laravel
02 Laravel Best Practices – this tutorial lays the foundation that will help you defeat evil minions that will try to stop you from completing your journey to Laravel Land.
03 Laravel Hello World – in the spirit of learning computer programming, we shall kick off with a simple hello world and explain the fundamentals of building Laravel applications
04 Laravel Routing & Controllers – this tutorial shows you how to create SEO friendly routes in Laravel and match them to controllers.
05 Laravel Blade – this tutorial shows you how to use blade template engine in Laravel views.
06 Laravel Eloquent ORM – This tutorial shows you how you can use Eloquent ORM to insert, update and delete data from a database.
07 Laravel Authentication – this tutorial shows you how to authenticate users in a Laravel powered web application
08 Laravel Helper Functions – this tutorials shows you how to use built in helper functions in Laravel to perform common tasks. You will also learn how to create your own custom helpers.
09 Laravel Localization – this tutorial shows you how to create Laravel web applications that support many languages.
10 Unit Testing – this tutorial shows you how to write unit tests for Laravel.
Tutorial version 1: Date Published 2015-08-24
this tutorial will show you how to download, install and configure Laravel. We will also explore the directories of Laravel...readmore
In the spirit of learning computer programming, we shall kick off with a simple Laravel hello world and explain the fundamentals of building...readmore
this tutorial shows you how to create SEO friendly routes in Laravel and match them to controllers....readmore
this tutorial shows you how to use blade template engine in Laravel views...readmore
this tutorial shows you how to use migration in Laravel to programmatically create database records and seed dummy records....readmore
This tutorial shows you how you can use Eloquent ORM to insert, update and delete data from a database. ...readmore
This tutorial shows you how to implement a shopping cart in using Laravel Shoppingcart package....readmore
this tutorial shows you how to authenticate users in a Laravel powered web application...readmore
this tutorials shows you how to build a simple Laravel 5 REST API with basic authentication....readmore
This tutorial shows you how to create a complete real world blog using Laravel MVC framework. (Complete source code included)...readmore
This tutorial shows you how to create a complete Laravel 5 Ajax application than implements CRUD functionality....readmore
this tutorials shows you how to build a simple Laravel 5 REST API as a backend and use AngularJS to build the frontend that performs CRUD op...readmore
this tutorials shows you how to install and configure GeocoderLaravel. It also shows you how to geocode addresses to get coordinates and dis...readmore
Laravel 5 custom helper: this tutorial shows you how to create a custom helper in Laravel 5 and how to use it....readmore